More than $1.1 million worth of rock was purchased by Jasper County on Tuesday to spread on the secondary roads in 10 southern townships this year.
Only one bid was received and opened by Jasper County Engineer’s Office staff during the board of supervisors meeting. Martin Marietta bid $1,117,486.20 for 150 ton of rock per mile in the aforementioned townships.
According to staff, the contractor broke down the price of rock per township:
• Richland — $1,350 per ton
• Buena Vista — $1,240 per ton
• Pal Alto — $1,290 per ton
• Mountain Prairie — $1,475 per ton
• Washington — $1,650 per ton
• Des Moines — $1,650 per ton
• Fairview West — $1,640 per ton
• Fairview East — $1,465 per ton
• Elk Creek — $1,305 per ton
• Lynn Grove — $1,275 per ton
Randy Freese, maintenance superintendent of Jasper County, told the board that his department sent bid requests to the same contractors as last year and had even tried to follow up with a few, but ultimately still received just the one bid.
The road stone will be dispersed along 458 miles of secondary roads. The Jasper County Board of Supervisors approved the bid 3-0.
In other action Tuesday, the board of supervisors:
• Set public hearing dates to rezone Manatt’s Inc., 1775 Old 6 Rd., Brooklyn, IA 52211. According to agenda documents, Manatt’s wants to rezone two parcels from agricultural to general industrial and one parcel from commercial to general industrial. The public hearing dates were set for 9:30 a.m. March 16, 23, 30.
• Set a public hearing date for the proposed property tax levy at 9:30 a.m. March 16 in the board of supervisors chambers. The board also scheduled another public hearing date for the FY21-22 budget at 9:30 a.m. March 30.
Contact Christopher Braunschweig at 641-792-3121 ext. 6560 or firstname.lastname@example.org