My name is Joe Pugel. I am running for reelection to the Des Moines Area Community College Board of Trustees. Thanks to your support, I have served in that role since 1997, and with the confidence of our full board I have served as board president since 2003. I am as motivated and excited to represent you and DMACC today as I was the first day of my first term because of the many opportunities that lie ahead for current and future DMACC students, as well as the employers and citizens of our state.
DMACC graduates build our homes, fix our cars, care for us and protect us. Given the cost of college and student debt, I am committed to keeping tuition affordable. I’m proud to say that DMACC has the lowest tuition and fees of any community college in Iowa. With our concurrent enrollment agreements with our area high schools, we have saved students millions of dollars in tuition attaining college credit while still in high school. Last year alone Colfax-Mingo students earned 420 DMACC credits saving families $63,210.
Given my passion for education and concern for affordable education for traditional students, I’m extremely motivated to help those nontraditional students who have been displaced from their jobs, and those single-family parents trying to balance their time raising a family and having to work various jobs, who desperately need training or retraining to develop their skills for meaningful employment.
Some milestones during my time as board president:
• Increased enrollment by 62 percent to 35,488 credit and noncredit students.
• Lowest tuition and fees of any Iowa college or university.
• Lowest levy assessment and highest bond rating of any Iowa community college.
• Most Iowa students of any college or university in the state, with 95 percent of our graduates remaining in Iowa.
• Created career academies in Newton, Ames, Perry, Pella, Waukee and Southridge for all area public schools.
• Instituted seamless articulation for DMACC students transferring to four-year colleges or universities in Iowa.
There are many more examples of the important role DMACC plays in educating our students, serving our businesses and communities and supporting economic development in the state.
Let me assure you that DMACC is a well-managed institution. Our goal is to invest your money wisely and focus on providing outstanding education. On Sept. 12, please vote for me to continue to be your DMACC representative.
Thanks for your support.