1. Kevin Van Kooten was approved to move forward with the addition of a cattle confinement feeding operation at his location south of Lynnville. A construction permit was approved following a public hearing for Van Kooten to add a new 100 head deep bedded beef cattle confinement building at his existing swine confinement facility. With the addition, the operation will expand to 2,024 animal units consisting of 4,810 head of finishing swine and 100 head of beef cattle.
2. The engineer’s office was approved to purchase a new air conditioner and furnace unit for the building located at 910 N. 11th Ave. E. The low bid from Brooker Corporation of Newton for $17,207 was selected, coming in almost $3,000 under the budgeted price. Assistant to the Engineer Pam Olson said with more than $3,000 in rebates, the project will come in at just more than $14,000.
3. The board gave approval for the Submarine Veterans Memorial Highway to pass through Jasper County. The memorial highway will be on state highways 330 and 65 passing through Jasper County. It will run from the Iowa Veterans Home in Marshalltown to the S-36 Memorial South of the State Capitol in Des Moines.
4. Citizens who are looking to acquire a pistol or revolver permit will now be required to pay $40 for a five year permit. If requesting a duplicate permit to acquire a pistol or revolver, $20 will be charged. Funds collected from the permit to acquire will be directed to the Jasper County General Fund.
5. Nicholas Fratzke was approved for hire as the Community Development Director, replacing the Planning and Zoning Director position. His annual salary will be $56,560 with a start date of July 1.
Michael Gunsaulus was approved for a sergeant position in the Jasper County Sheriff’s Office at a pay rate of $72,736 with a start date of Saturday. Sandra Hartgers was also approved as a part-time jailer at $18.10 per hour starting Tuesday.
Contact Jamee A. Pierson at
641-792-3121 ext. 6534