June 19, 2024

4 Newton residents rescued from house fire Thursday

Firefighters saved occupants, including three children, by ladder from second floor

Four residents were rescued from a house fire Thursday night in Newton.

The Newton Fire Department announced in a press release that a resident had called 911 saying the house in the 200 block of East Seventh Street South was full of smoke and that they were on the second floor. When the police department arrived on scene there were no occupants of the home outside.

As soon as firefighters arrived, crews immediately rescued the caller and three children by ladder from the second floor. Crews remained on scene until approximately 12:45 a.m. to completely extinguish the fire. The home received significant smoke and minor damage from the fire.

In addition to the Newton fire station and police station, the Kellogg Fire Department and Baxter Fire Department responded to the scene. Newton Fire Department said the fire appeared to have been caused by an appliance on the main floor of the residence.

Christopher Braunschweig

Christopher Braunschweig

Christopher Braunschweig has a strong passion for community journalism and covers city council, school board, politics and general news in Newton, Iowa and Jasper County.