Newton Police Department
• James A. Garland, 40, of Newton, was charged with domestic abuse assault, third offense, at 3:15 a.m. Aug. 16 in the 600 block of East Third Street South. According to the Newton Police Department, officers responded to a report of a domestic assault. Upon arrival, the victim said Garldan pushed her while arguing. The victim had a small cut on her elbow but did not need medical assistance. Garland was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Eric A. Klingensmith, 48, of Newton, was charged with two counts of simple assault at 1:48 a.m. Aug. 16 in the 400 block of East 10th Street North. According to the Newton Police Department, officers were called on a report of an assault. Upon arrival, officers spoke with two victims who had been walking their dog in the street when they were passed by two bicycles. Both victims turned to see who they were when a third bicycle without a light, driven by Klingensmith ran into one of the victims. He then punched both victims in the jaw and yelled at them for getting in his way. The roadway was dark due to the power outage. One of the victims had a previous friendship with Klingensmith but has had issues with him in the past. Both victims had redness on their faces. Klingensmith was cited and released to appear in court.
• Lance R. Richardson, 36, of Newton, was charged with public intoxication at 1:43 a.m. Aug. 16. According to the Newton Police Department, officers responded to Pour Bastards in reference for a welfare check of an intoxicated individual. Upon arrival, officer located this individual, identified at Richardson, and arranged for transport to MercyOne Newton Medical Center for treatment. Officers were notified that Richardson had walked away from the facility and was last seen traveling westbound in the 200 block of North Fourth Avenue East. The NPD located him leaning against a light pole at the intersection of North Fourth Avenue West and First Street North. When officers made contact with the defendant and detected an odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from Richardson’s person. He had bloodshot, watery eyes and slow, slurred speech. Richardson refused to provide a sample of his breath for the preliminary breath test. He was placed under arrest and was advised of his right to a chemical test at his expense. Richardson refused to answer whether he wanted one or not. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Joseph D. Stoner, 28, of Newton, was charged with consumption in public places intoxication at 12:07 a.m. Aug. 9 in the 1800 block of South Seventh Avenue East. According to the Newton Police Department, officers located Stoner walking along the sidewalk after being called in for possibly being intoxicated. He admitted to have been drinking and submitted to a preliminary breath test, which registered at blood alcohol content over .08. Stoner was placed under arrest and transported to the police department where he requested a chemical test. He submitted to a breath test on the DataMaster which resulted in a BAC of .174. He was cited and released to appear in court.
• Shane A. Brito, 38, of Newton, was arrested on a warrant at 8:30 a.m. Aug. 9 after police were called to the 1000 block of North 10th Avenue East for a male laying in a yard. Upon arrival officers identified the male at Brito. He had a parole violation warrant out of Missouri. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Jason T. Purtilo, 36, of Newton, was arrested at 12:50 a.m. Aug. 15 at in the 1000 First Ave East on a Jasper County warrant for failure to appear on a public intoxication charge. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Elizabeth A. Etter, 30, of Newton, was charged with accessory after the fact at 6:52 p.m. Aug. 5 in the 900 block of North Sixth Avenue East. According to the Newton Police Department, officers were called to assist a landlord with and eviction process. Upon arrival, officers spoke with Etter and told the police a male who had an active warrant was not inside the residence when she knew he was in fact inside. Once officers entered the apartment, they located the male with the active warrant. Etter was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Andrea C. Brown, 18, of Newton, arrested at 8:03 p.m. Aug. 5 in the 900 block of East 13th Street Place North on a Cerro Gordo County warrant for willful injury and striking fixtures upon a highway. She was taken to the Jasper County Jail.