Newton Police Department
• Joshua D. Clark, 35, of Des Moines, was charged with operating while under the influence at 4:06 a.m. May 29 in the 1400 block of First Avenue East. According to the Newton Police Department, officers responded to a call for a man in a car. Officers were told the caller wanted the male gone. Upon arrival, officers made contact with Clark. Officers could smell the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from the Clark's person. Officers asked Clark how much he had to drink and he said enough not to be driving a vehicle. Officers asked Clark if he would be willing to submit to field sobriety maneuvers to which he refused. Clark submitted to the data master that indicated his blood alcohol content to be 0.173. Clark was additionally cited for driving with a suspended license. Clark was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Paul L. Harris, 31, of Newton, was charged with domestic abuse and violation of a no contact order at 6:43 a.m. May 30 in the 200 block of West Fourth Street North. According to the Newton Police Department, officers responded to the Best Western Manor in reference to a fight in progress. Upon arrival, officers made contact with the victim. Officers could see a little bit of blood in the victim's mouth. Officers asked the victim what happened and she stated Harris hit her in the mouth because she was chewing some food too loudly. Officers were also made aware the victim and Harris had an active no contact order on file and in effect. Harris was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Brandon J. Card, 39, of Newton, was charged with public intoxication at 7:04 p.m. May 31 in the 1000 block of First Avenue East. According to the Newton Police Department, officers responded to a call for an intoxicated male. Officers arrived and made contact with Card. Officers saw Card having bloodshot, watery eyes and the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his person. Officers made contact with Card earlier in the evening and knew he had consumed a large amount of alcohol. Officers requested Card provide a sample of his breath for the Preliminary Breath Test to which he refused. Card was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Dion J. Innis, 27, of Newton, was arrested at 6:35 a.m. May 29 in the 200 block of East Third Street North on a Jasper County warrant for probation violation, original charges were third degree burglary and second degree theft and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Christopher L. Cleveland, 38, of Newton, was charged at 5:45 p.m. May 23 with trespass for being on the premises in the 700 block of North Second Avenue East after being informed May 1 that he is not allowed on the property and released to appear in court.
• Darren C. Ohmstede, 35, of Newton, was charged with child endangerment at 10:27 p.m. June 1 in the 300 block of East Third Street North. According to the Newton Police Department, officers responded to a call in reference to a domestic fight. Upon arrival officers made contact with Ohmstede who said he had been having issues that night and there was an incident involving lipstick. Ohmstede told officers he meant to discipline the victim by hitting the side of her head but Ohmstede said he hit her and left a mark. Officers made contact with the victim inside the residence and saw a bruise to the left side of her face, eye and temple area and said Ohmstede had open hand slapped her causing the injury. Ohmstede was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.