1. Purchase tickets and attend the Newton Fest Kick Off Party. This 21 and older event on June 7 will feature appetizers and desserts from DMACC’s Culinary program as well as a cash bar from Hy-Vee and live music from DSM Dueling Fiddles. Best of all funds from the event will go to future Newton Fests. Tickets are $20 per person and available at the Newton Chamber of Commerce. *A limited number of tickets will be sold to this event.
2. Buy advanced tickets to the Joe's Old Fashioned Fun Carnival. The carnival is going to have some cool rides and inflatables for children, teens and adults during Newton Fest! Tickets are for sale now at a discount and all tickets sold during presale goes to support Newton Fest. Get your tickets at Newton Chamber of Commerce and Newton Public Library Iowa.
3. Register and show off your talents at the Bill Riley Talent Search. Compete in one of two divisions, Sprouts (2 -12) and Seniors (13 -21), for a chance to perform at the Iowa State Fair and win scholarship money. Complete the registration form at www.newtonfest.org and return to show coordinator Ange Sevenbergen at email@example.com or by mail to Newton Fest BRTS, PO Box 844, Newton, Iowa 50208.
4. Form a team to compete in the Community Wellness Games. Taking place at noon on June 9 the Games feature teams of four competing in a variety of activities at the courthouse square. Teams are encouraged to dress in costume and there will be competitions such as Brain Games, Food Facts, Heart Health and Muscle Strength. Return registration form by May 31 to the Jasper County Health Dept: 115 N. 2nd Ave. E., Suite B1 (Annex Building Basement).
5. Register for the Birds and The Bees 5K fundraiser for the Newton Arboretum. The event takes place at 8 a.m. June 10. Prizes will be given out for the top male and female runner, as well as the top runner in each category. The registration fee will be $25 with an Arboretum T-shirt, and $15 without a shirt.
6. Sign up to participate in the Vendor Fair on June 10. New to Newton Fest this year the vendor fair will allow those who want to share information about their organization or individuals wanting to sell crafts, home-based businesses (such as Tupperware, Avon, etc.)
7. Enter the Backyard BBQ Competition. Show Newton your best ribs or chicken wings by entering your team for just $30! Registration deadline is June 2. Setup begins at 7 a.m. with turn in time scheduled for 3 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. June 10.
8. Purchase a 2017 Newton Fest T-shirt that takes a playful dig at Pella. “Newton Fest: Celebrating without flowers since 2015.” T-shirts are for sale for $15 at the Chamber of Commerce office beginning May 26.
9. Polish it up and show off you cool car during the Greater Newton Area Chamber of Commerce’s Cool Cars Car Show on June 10. There’s no entry fee and the event is going to take place at the DMACC Newton Campus parking lots. Register now by calling the Newton Chamber office at 641-792-5545.
10. Spread the Word. Like “Newton Fest” on Facebook, invite your friends and family and rest up. It’s going to be a busy and fun weekend.