Newton Police Department
• Jayme A. Traeger, 46, of Newton, was charged with domestic assault at 7:29 p.m. March 13. According to Newton police, officers were sent to the 500 block of East 21st Street South for a domestic assault. Upon arrival, officers spoke with the victim and the defendant, Traeger. The victim said Traeger allegedly strangled her and threw her on top of a dog kennel, causing red marks on the victim’s neck. Traeger said he was in bed with the victim when she rolled over and started scratching his face, causing scratches on his right cheek and forehead. Traeger was arrested and transported to Jasper County Jail.
• Cory M. McKinney, 30, of Newton, was charged with possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia at 11:02 p.m. Sunday. According to Newton police, officers pulled over a blue Chevrolet Blazer in the 100 block of North Eighth Avenue East for a brake light that wasn’t working. McKinney mentioned he had no driver’s license, and the officer could detect an odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle. McKinney admitted there was marijuana and a pipe in the center console. After a search of the vehicle, McKinney was arrested and transported to the Jasper County Jail.
• Amber D. Rogers, 33, of Newton, was charged with assault causing bodily injury at 5:14 p.m. March 12. According to Newton police, officers were sent to the 1500 block of North 11th Avenue East for an assault. The victim told officers Rogers allegedly struck her up to five times in the cheek and grabbed her glasses off of her face, causing a scratch on her nose. The victim said she was driving east when Rogers pulled her vehicle in front of the victim’s vehicle causing the victim to stop. Rogers then exited her vehicle, walked over to the victim’s vehicle, allegedly opened her door and assaulted her. Rogers then tried to remove the keys from the victim’s vehicle. She then left while saying, “it wasn’t over.” Officers talked to a witness who helped locate Rogers. Rogers said she only yelled at the victim without elaborating on what was said. Rogers was arrested and transported to Jasper County Jail.
• Samuel M. Smith, 21, of Newton, was charged with assault causing bodily injury at 10 p.m. Sunday. According to Newton police, officers were sent to the 300 block of East Eighth Street North for an assault. The victim told officers Smith allegedly pushed her head into a wall multiple times. The victim had a red mark on the left side of her forehad. When officers asked Smith about the incident, he said she was hitting herself and claimed to have recorded it but took that statement back. Smith was arrested and transported to Jasper County Jail.
• John A. Mudra, 52, of Newton, was charged with willful injury causing bodily injury at 4:31 p.m. Monday. According to Newton police, officers were sent to the 1100 block of First Street North for an assault. Officers met with the victim, who said Mudra allegedly pulled recklessly into the driveway and got out of his vehicle with a long metal bar, allegedly swinging the bar numerous times at the victim, hitting him in the right arm and both legs. The victim had abrasions on his right arm and sharp pain in both of his legs where contact was made. The victim requested a no-contact order against Mudra. Mudra was arrested and transported to Jasper County Jail.