Digital Access

Digital Access
Access newtondailynews.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
News, sports, local and regional entertainment and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Local

8-year-old runs to fire department, saves home from fire

Community works to assist family

The Daniels family who lives at 309 S. Eighth Ave. W. are working to salvage their belongings after a fire 
started in their kitchen. The community has rallied together to assist the family.
The Daniels family who lives at 309 S. Eighth Ave. W. are working to salvage their belongings after a fire started in their kitchen. The community has rallied together to assist the family.

A local family is working to salvage their belongings after a fire started inside their home’s kitchen Friday afternoon.

Steve and Misty Daniels and their two sons Quintin, 8, and Colton, 5, were not at their home at 309 S. Eighth Ave. W. when an electric stove ignited a fire in the family’s kitchen around 3:30 p.m.

Quintin had just been released from school at Woodrow Wilson when he arrived home just in time to witness smoke and flames. There were no neighbors at home at the time, so Quintin ran to the fire department to get help, according to the family.

Quintin’s father Steve said he was relieved when he found out no one had been hurt, and he was proud of his son for doing the right thing.

“He ran all the way there and probably saved the house by doing that,” Steve said. “He definitely saved our dog who was trapped upstairs and the firemen got him out.”

Newton Fire Marshal Mike Knoll said the fire was contained to the kitchen but smoke did spread through the whole home. Knoll said the total amount in damage was estimated at $20,000.

The family said there were several valuables lost in the fire as well as clothing from the smoke and soot.

Steve said he is grateful for the community’s support as they have rallied together the last few days to help his family out.

“Moo’s BBQ has fed us and done so much for us, and Church of The Way and Integrity have also stepped up,” Steve said.

“You see it all the time but it’s rough when it hits home, you know.” Steve said. “Everything can always be worse.”

Contact Kayla Langmaid at 641-792-3121 ext. 6533 or klangmaid@newtondailynews.com

Loading more