Summer is officially here and that means fresh produce couldn’t be easier to find. Salads are the perfect way to enjoy a variety of vegetables and fruits all season long! Add diced chicken breast, grilled salmon, or plant proteins such as edamame or garbanzo beans for a light but satisfying meal.
Sweet, smoky and salty — this dish is a treat for your taste buds. The grilled salmon and avocado provide wonderful heart-health benefits, which is an added bonus.
3 tablespoons stone ground honey Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
4 (4 or 5 oz. each) salmon fillets
6 cups baby greens
¾ cup roasted corn kernels, thawed
1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
Salt and pepper, to taste
• Preheat grill to medium-high.
• Combine the 3 tbsp. mustard, maple syrup, paprika, ¼ tsp. pepper and 1⁄8 tsp. salt in a small bowl.
• Spray the salmon fillets with cooking spray and place on the grill. Cook for 4 minutes per side; brush with the mustard mixture. Transfer to a platter and cover with foil.
• In a small bowl, combine vinaigrette ingredients.
• Place baby greens onto each plate and top with grilled salmon, roasted corn kernels and diced avocado. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 367, Total fat 26g, Saturated fat 4g, Cholesterol 53mg, Sodium 276mg, Carbohydrate 10g, Fiber 3.5g, Protein 24g
Adapted from: Eating Well
Newton resident John McNeer has developed a Super-10 salad recipe that is sure to please anyone looking for a salad with extra crunch. Being a firm believer of the “KISS” formula in life (“Keep it Simple Sir…or Sis”), John takes pride in how easy this salad is to prepare. The rainbow of colors provide a variety of vitamins and nutrients, and with about 6 grams of fiber per serving, I can easily give the Super-10 salad my stamp of approval.
Super-10 Vegetable Salad
2 cups Romaine lettuce
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 cup broccoli florets
1 green pepper, diced
1 mild yellow onion, diced
1 cup sliced radishes
1 cup carrots, diced
1 large tomato, diced
1 cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinse
• Combine all ingredients and lightly toss with your favorite dressing or vinaigrette. It’s that simple!
Nutrition facts per serving (prior to adding dressing): Calories 87, Total fat 1g, Sodium 128 mg,
Carbohydrate 24 g, Fiber 6g, Protein 5g
Visit our website at http://www.hy-vee.com or stop in to see your Newton Hy-Vee dietitians today for more delicious summer recipes!