75 Years Ago This Week
Dec. 9-15, 1938
The W. T. Petersen Hardware Store, for the past 15 years located at 106 First St. N., will move to the west side of the square next year, going into the Robert McGregor building (113 W. Second St. N.). Beginning Feb. 1, Woolworth’s will expand into Peterson’s east side location, thus doubling the size of their current store.
A drive was under way in Newton to raise funds for Jewish refugees from Germany. Business and community leaders in charge of Newton’s drive announced plans to expand the campaign to the other towns in the county.
The Newton Women’s Club hosted a two week “slogan” campaign to encourage community activity and shopping in Newton. The winning slogans for the week were: “Home Trade Means Progress Made” (Clyde Cavitt, senior division) and “Stop, Shop, Save in Newton” (James Wright, junior division).