What kind of skilled labor do manufacturers need?
To the editor:
In Friday’s paper, I read yet another article on how Iowa lacks enough workers to fill jobs requiring certain technical skills. This seems to be a hot topic now as manufacturers across the country meet to bemoan how they are unable to fill manufacturing jobs because workers lack the skills and education.
In all the news reports and articles I’ve seen, none have stated what skills are needed to fill these jobs. In this day and age most people are computer literate. If someone has the basic skills to learn the job, how much more education do they need just to get hired?
Are manufacturers no longer willing to train workers or are the workers untrainable? I ask this question because I have yet to hear any specifics. The article on Friday was no exception.
I have a two-year degree. Almost everything of value, I learned on the job.
More Letters to the Editor News
- College educator responds to Berg reading proficiency report
- Adjutant General of Iowa National Guard issues Thanksgiving message
- Thank-you to good samaritan
- November is National Hospice & Palliative Care Month
- Enjoyed reading article about local connection to Alley Oop strip