Iowa mom convicted in baby’s death released
DES MOINES (AP) — A Des Moines woman convicted in the 1998 death of her infant son is out of prison.
Heidi Anfinson, 53, was released from the women’s prison in Mitchellville on Wednesday. She pleaded guilty in 2009 to multiple acts of child endangerment in the drowning of her 2-week-old son. She was sentenced to 50 years in prison. She served nine years of a previous 50-year sentence for second-degree murder when the Iowa Supreme Court granted her a new trial.
Supporters say Anfinson was suffering from severe postpartum depression at the time of her son’s death.
More State News
- Man who kidnapped 2 Iowa girls had long record
- Iowa lawmakers close to ending legislative session
- Iowa district nixes armed officers in schools
- Iowa lawmakers look to end legislative session
- Search for missing Iowa teen continues today