People begin petition drive against Ankeny casino
ANKENY (AP) — Several residents have begun a petition drive against construction of a casino in the Des Moines suburb of Ankeny.
Almost 40 people gathered at Kirkendall Public Library on Monday to begin their drive for 6,600 signatures.
Ankeny resident Mike Meyerring said the group members know the petition would have no binding effect on the City Council.
On Oct. 29 the council approved a contract to support efforts by Wild Rose Entertainment to acquire a state license. The $150 million casino project would be built near a new interchange on Interstate 35 in the Des Moines suburb.
More State News
- Pay plan could cost some Des Moines school workers
- Iowa DNR uses social media for wildlife questions
- Iowa credit unions see largest deposit gains in US
- Man gets 14 years for child endangerment
- USDA Farm Storage Loans Available