HEART program seeking senior volunteers for literacy efforts
Volunteers are needed for Help Engage A Reader Today, a program offered at Aurora Heights, Berg, Thomas Jefferson and Woodrow Wilson elementary schools in Newton along with the Baxter and Prairie City elementary schools.
Volunteers are needed for as little as one hour per week to help students become better readers by listening to children read to increase comprehension and fluency. Each volunteer is matched with students for 20 minutes at a time. The one-on-one attention gives the student extra encouragement to enjoy reading and increase literacy.
HEART is a partnership between area school districts and RSVP. All a volunteers needs is the ability to read, work well with children, the desire to be a positive role model and be at least age 55. Call Tanya or Denice with RSVP at (641) 792-6433 for more information.
More Local News
- NASCAR Chairman talks about Iowa Speedway purchase
- Newton Chamber of Commerce Christmas Party celebrates, awards businesses of Newton
- Downtown churches host 18th annual Christmas Walk
- From Cardinal to Calvary Scout: Vinnie Hoskins chose to serve his country after high school
- Blood drives planned in Kellogg, Newton