To restore hope we must make a change
To the editor:
Over the past four years, we have seen the domestic economic situation in America go from bad to worse under Barack Obama. The record speaks for itself:
• $784 billion wasted on a stimulus plan that was to bring about lower unemployment and didn’t.
• Unemployment has stayed consistently high with as many as 23 million unemployed or under employed fellow citizens.
• Nearly $7 trillion in additional national debt.
• The number of people on Food Stamps has gone from 32 million to 47 million (the highest number of Americans in history).
• Gas prices have gone up nearly 75% in the past four years.
• Nearly 50 percent of college graduates can’t find jobs in their respective areas of study.
• Government takeover of private companies in the form of General Motors and Chrysler.
• Government takeover of healthcare in the form of Obamacare (representing nearly one-sixth of the GDP).
• No substantial proposals to cut government spending, only calls to raise taxes on the “wealthy.”
• Projected yearly $1 trillion deficits for the foreseeable future.
• No budget passed in the last three years.
• Hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars wasted on green energy companies that have gone bankrupt.
• Frequent attacks on successful businesses/people with a constant emphasis on class warfare.
These economic problems and misguided policies of Obama reminded me of a famous quote by William Boetcker (1873-1962) who was a German-born Presbyterian clergyman and how far from his wise philosophy our current president has lead our country. The quote is as follows:
“You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot help small men by tearing down big men. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot establish security on borrowed money. You cannot build character and courage by taking away men’s initiative and independence. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.”
If America and her current and future generations are to have any hope, we must make a change. Please join me Nov. 6 in voting for Mitt Romney and help restore economic sanity back to this great country so all people can experience the American dream and share in her prosperity.
Brian D. Briles
More Letters to the Editor News
- Disappointed for the Iowa Veterans Home
- Reader: thankful, proud to be Newton native
- King visit highlighted use of mindless words
- Reader's letter helps correct Wall database error
- Jasper County Freedom Flight Committee thanks citizens for support of Wall That Heals
- Skiff ad brings tears to reader's eyes
- Parents should ensure children are properly vaccinated
- One more thing the government does to take American Natives down
- Progress Industries, Iowa Speedway foundations thank 8K sponsors