• Kyle E. Chance, 35, of Newton, was charged with forgery at 9:48 a.m. July 25 in the 1000 block of First Avenue East. According to the Newton Police Department at approximately 2:45 p.m. July 24, Chance purchased cigarettes and a lottery ticket from Casey’s General Store with a counterfeit $50 bill. The bill had Chinese symbols on the front and back and didn’t have the security thread and watermark image of President Grant. Chance was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• David K. Crady, 52, of Newton, was arrested at 7:40 a.m. July 25 in the 300 block of North Second Avenue East on a Jasper County warrant for failure to appear on original charge of third-degree burglary and a probation violation. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Christopher D. Kiamas, 32, of Newton, was charged with fifth-degree criminal mischief and third-degree harassment from two separate incidents that occurred May 1 and July 17. According to the Newton Police Department, Kiamas broke out a window of a victims truck that was on the victim’s property with a wood board and threw the board onto the victims property. The event was recorded with cameras and Kiamas could be seen walking around the perimeter of the victim’s fence and throwing the board onto his driveway. Police cited Kiamas. According to the Newton Police Department, at 11:30 a.m. July 17, officers responded to the 500 block of East Eighth Street South for a neighborhood dispute. Kiamas and the victim had been in a dispute over the property line for a couple of years. The victim said he had Kiamas on camera throwing trash onto his property. Videos show at 11 a.m. July 13, Kiamas purposely put a wood pallet onto the victims side of the fence. The victim saw the wood pallet a few days later and put it back into Kiamas’ yard and Kiamas threw it back. He was cited and released.
• Alexis F. Hawker, 18, of Newton, was charged with fifth-degree theft and possession of alcohol under 21 at 6:30 p.m. July 24 in the 1500 block of First Avenue East. According to the Newton Police Department, Hawker was caught by Hy-Vee employees stealing alcohol. The responding officer released her and advised charges would be coming. Hy-Vee then reported at 6:30 p.m. July 24, Hawker was again caught trying to steal alcohol. Hawker admitted to taking the alcohol stating she had no money, was depressed and had been homeless. Hawker said she knew she shouldn’t have taken it and she was sorry. During a search police also found a Mermaid Bath Bomb in her purse. The total of the theft was $34.27. She was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• William T. Taylor, 36, of Gilbert, Ariz., was charged with forgery at 12:39 p.m. July 24 in the 600 block of North Fourth Avenue East. According to the Newton Police Department, on May 27, 2017 officers were called to the 600 block of North Fourth Avenue East regarding a forged check. Officers spoke with the victim who said her ex-boyfriend, Taylor, had stolen a check from her and forged the signature for $75. The check was deposited with a mobile app on a smartphone. Police tried to make contact with Taylor but were told he had moved to Arizona. Taylor was picked up on the warrant for the charge at 12:39 p.m. July 24 at the Blackhawk County Jail. He was transported to the Jasper County Jail.
• Brooklyn E. Mallicoat, 20, of Newton, was arrested at 7:27 p.m. July 23 in the 1000 block of North Third Avenue East on a Polk County warrant. She was taken to the Jasper County Jail.