• Shane M. Carstens, 41, of Prairie City, was charged with third-degree criminal mischief April 30. According to the Newton Police Department, officers were called at 11:04 a.m. March 24 to Hy-Vee on a report of a truck being keyed in the parking lot. The victim later came to the NPD to file the report. The officer observed the long scratch on the driver’s side door and appeared to be made by a metal object. The victim said the scratch was not on her truck when she went into the grocery store, but she noticed it when she returned to her vehicle. The estimated damage to the truck is $730. Video surveillance from the store revealed Carstens scratched the truck with an object and then left the parking lot in a car with an unidentified female. The car had been parked by the damaged truck, and Carstens had intentionally damaged the vehicle. He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Christopher L. Cleveland, 37, of Newton, was charged with fifth-degree criminal mischief May 1. According the the Newton Police Department, officers were called at 11:18 p.m. April 23 to the 1300 block of Crescent Drive on a report of a slashed vehicle tire. Upon arrival, officers met with the vehicle owner and another witness who told the NPD they saw Cleveland squatting next to the rear driver’s side tire with a knife in his hand. The vehicle was parked in a driveway. After Cleveland walked away from the scene, the tire was leaking air from a slit in the tire sidewall. The damage is valued at less than $200. Officers located Cleveland at 7:24 p.m.áMay 1 in the 1200 block of First Avenue East.áHe was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Scot A. Stewart, 41, of Newton, was charged with driving while barred at 12:32 a.m. May 1 in the 1000 block of 11th Avenue East. According to the Newton Police Department, officers were conducting a routine patrol when they observed a motorized go-cart traveling westbound on 11th Avenue East without headlights or taillights. The NPD initiated the traffic stop in the 900 block of North 10th Avenue East and identified Stewart as the driver. Officers ran his information through the NPD system and found him barred for habitual offender status until 2021. Stewart was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Aaron M. Jones, 28, of Newton, was charged with driving while barred at 11:28 a.m. May 1 in the 2300 block of North 11th Avenue East. According to the Newton Police Department, officers conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle traveling 58 mph in a 40 mph zone on North 11th Avenue East. Officers identified the driver as Jones who told officers he was not allowed to drive. Officers confirmed Jones’ driving status and barred for habitual offender until 2020. Officers also discovered he has five indefinite suspensions in effect on Iowa fines, one indefinite suspension for non-payment of child support. He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Kelli J. Russell, 34, of Newton, was charged with simple assault at 7:55 p.m. April 30 in the 400 block of First Street South. According to the Newton Police Department, officers were dispatched to a residence on a report of an assault. Upon arrival, officers spoke to witnesses who said Russell pushed a juvenile victim. The juvenile did not have any injuries. Russell received a citation and was released to appear in court.
• Araceli Galan, 19, of Des Moines, was arrested at 10:14 a.m. April 30 at the Adult Probation Office on a Jasper County warrant for probation violation on possession of marijuana charges.áHe was taken to the Jasper County Jail.