BOONE — Authorities have released the name of a 70-year-old man whose body was found inside the charred remains of a house in central Iowa.
The Des Moines Register reports that the body’s been identified as that of Santos Guadalupe Calderon-Alvarado. Firefighters found his body Jan. 24 following an overnight fire in his home northwest of Boone.
Boone County Sheriff’s Deputy Andy Godzicki says Calderon-Alvarado likely died of carbon monoxide poisoning in his sleep the night of the fire. He says investigators think the fire was started after something went wrong with the handmade wood-burning stove that Calderon-Alvarado was using to heat the house.
Godzicki says four or five dogs also died in the fire. Others escaped.