Digital Access

Digital Access
Access newtondailynews.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
News, sports, local and regional entertainment and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Letters to the Editor

Administration skews facts

Who is responsible for extremist domestic incidents in our country? The Government Accountability Office (GAO), the official keeper of government numbers, shows there were 85 violent extremist domestic incidents that resulted in death in the United States from September 12, 2001 through December 31, 2016. Of the 85, 62 (73 percent) were done by right wing violent extremists groups. The other 23 (27 percent) were done by radical Islamist violent extremists.

Additionally there were 26 attacks by white supremacist groups that resulted in 49 homicides from 2000 to 2016, more than any other domestic terrorist movement. All of those acts are horrific. It is just as horrific our administration is assigning blame in the wrong place. It breaks my heart you have to do research to see if the alleged facts spouted by the administration’s spokespeople are true.

The president says “Nearly three in four convicted of terrorism are foreign-born. That would be 75 percent of the convicted terrorist. The above numbers show the opposite is true. Maybe we should be worrying more about the people who look like the majority of us instead of worrying about Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients. DACA recipients have been through a more thorough background checks than is required to get a gun permit. While we’re at it, should we also worry about the declining funding for education where students are supposed learn to make independent fact-based decisions?​

Linda Wormley

Newton

Loading more