Digital Access

Digital Access
Access newtondailynews.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
News, sports, local and regional entertainment and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
State

No deaths in church carbon monoxide incident

MARSHALLTOWN (AP) — In a story Nov. 6 about people sickened by carbon monoxide exposure at a Marshalltown church, The Associated Press, relying on a city fire official, reported erroneously that one person had died. Fire Chief David Rierson now says officials were mistaken and no one died.

A corrected version of the story is below:

Authorities say a number of people suffered breathing problems and some were hospitalized after breathing carbon monoxide at their church in Iowa, where a gasoline-powered generator was running in the unvented basement to provide heat and lighting.

Medics and police officers found several people with headaches and breathing difficulties at about 2:45 p.m. Sunday at the Church of God in Marshalltown. First responders helped churchgoers get treatment at a Marshalltown hospital. Some of the victims later were taken to hospitals in Iowa City and Des Moines.

Marshalltown Deputy Fire Chief Christopher Cross couldn’t provide the name of those who were injured.

Cross said the building didn’t have electric or gas service and lacked a city occupancy permit.

A phone listed for the church rang busy during several calls Monday.

Loading more