Newton Police Department
• Jason T. Purtilo, 33, homeless, was charged with assault at 9:15 a.m. Aug. 2 when a woman called police after a man jumped in front of her car and stopped her from traveling in the 100 block of South Eighth Avenue. Purtilo was allegedly running around Newton intoxicated at the time. The victim told police that the male subject was yelling and screaming and then reached in the rear driver’s side window of the vehicle and tried pulling her son out of his car seat by his legs. The victim drove away from the scene. The witness told police a description of the man and it matched what Purtilo was wearing. Purtilo was arrested near Petro Shop for simulated public intoxication. Purtilo was later charged with assault. Purtilo was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Allie J. King, 27, of Newton, was charged with trespassing at 7:30 a.m. Aug. 2 after police were called to Walmart. King was reportedly inside the store she had been previously trespassed from. Police saw King walking in the parking lot and get into a vehicle with a driver. The officer told the driver to stop. King said she knew she had been banned from the store and gave no reason for violating the ban. King was released and issued a citation to appear in court.
• James L. Koon, 24, and Timber J. Hogan, 21, both of Laurel, were charged with violation of no contact or protective order at 12:07 a.m. Aug. 4 after police were called in reference to a possible drunk driver east bound on First Avenue. Police located the vehicle that also had a brake light out. Police stopped the vehicle in the Hy-Vee parking lot and identified the driver as Hogan. Hogan has a protective order with Koon, the passenger. Koon also had a warrant out of Poweshiek County for a no contact order violation. Koon and Timber were both arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Charles L. Loudermilk, 49, of Newton, was charged with carrying weapons, knife over eight inches and possession of drug paraphernalia at 10:38 p.m. Aug. 5. Loudermilk was also arrested on a Jasper County warrant for violation of probation for original charge of possession of controlled substance. Police stopped Loudermilk for driving with a fraudulent registration at 900 First Avenue East. Loudermilk had a suspended license. Loudermilk was arrested. While officers searched the vehicle, they found a 9-inch knife and drug paraphernalia, including a scale, small bags containing white residue and three pipes. Loudermilk was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Michael C. Pearson, 45, of Newton, was charged with obstructing prosecution or defense and possession of controlled substance at 10:59 p.m. Aug. 8. Pearson was wanted for two Jasper County warrants for failure to appear for original charges of driving while license suspended. Pearson was found at 400 N. Third Ave. E. Pearson threw something out of his pocket and into a bush when he saw police. Officers placed Pearson under arrest. Officers found the plastic bag which contained 0.3 grams of methamphetamine. Pearson was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Jordan Troen, 26, of Newton was arrested at 10:48 p.m. Aug. 7 at 517 E. 11th St. S. on two Jasper County warrants for failure to appear on one original charge of interference with official acts and one original charge of walking on wrong side of highway. Troen was taken to the Jasper County Jail.