• Isaac Gilpin, 26, of Newton was cited at 5:36 p.m. Aug. 2 for failure to maintain control after he struck the rear of a vehicle driven by a minor. The second vehicle was stopped at the stop sign at the intersection of South Eighth Avenue East and East 12th Street South facing east. Gilpin was eastbound and struck the rear of the vehicle. Gilpin stated that he looked away for a second and when he looked back it was too late. Gilpin’s vehicle had damage to the front end. There was no visible damage to vehicle 2. Gilpin is at fault in the accident.
• Marcus Reeves, 18, of Newton was arrested at 9:18 a.m. Aug 2 at the Jasper County Courthouse on a Jasper County warrant for probation violation, original charges assault. Reeves was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Jason T. Purtilo, 33, of Baxter, was charged with simulated public intoxication, first offense, at 11 a.m. Aug. 2 after police were called to Petro Stop. Purtilo was kicked out of the store and was walking in the street. Officer also received several different complaints from different callers about Purtilo’s erratic and bizarre behavior. The complaints ranged from screaming at himself, walking in the road, walking through backyards and laying in the roadway. Purtilo was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Alexandra L. Cupples, 21, of Newton and Kyndall D. Shaw, 21, of Ames were charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of controlled substance, marijuana at 7:19 p.m. Aug 2 after police stopped a vehicle in the 2000 block of South Seventh Avenue East for speeding. The officer could smell a strong smell of marijuana in the vehicle. The officer found a grinder in the center arm rest and a bag with green leafy substance in the glove box weighing 3.5 grams. Shaw, the passenger, also had a small burnt marijuana roach in his sock. Cupples and Shaw were arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Remington S. Clark, 26, of Newton, was charged with driving while barred and driving while license under suspension at 5:53 p.m. July 27 after police saw a maroon Chevy truck driving southbound on West Eighth Street crossing First Avenue. Police found Clark’s license to be barred and suspended. Clark reportedly pulled into a driveway and fled. Clark was later located and arrested. Clark was taken to the Jasper County Jail.