• Rodney J. Mitchell, 45, of Newton, was charged with operating while under the influence, first offense, after police noticed a vehicle stopped hard behind a marked patrol car parked on the side of the street. Police approached the vehicle and the driver, Mitchell, rolled down his window. Police smelled alcohol in the vehicle and conducted a sobriety test. Mitchell failed the field test and refused a breath test. He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Dakota R. Mindham, 23, of Newton, was charged with going armed with intent and public intoxication at 3 a.m. Friday after police were called to a house on East Eighth Street North in reference to someone who threatened to come back and harm people inside the residence. Police talked to the male on the phone, identified as Mindham and advised him not to come back or he’d be charged. A few minutes later, police saw Mindham walking toward the house with a machete. Mindham had bloodshot, red, watery eyes and slurred speech. Mindham’s alcohol level showed a result of .097. He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Keith M. Taylor McCollum, 21, of Newton, was charged with driving while license denied at 6 p.m. Friday after police were conducting patrol in the 200 block of South Third Avenue West. Police saw a white GMC Yukon driving northbound in the 300 block of West Third Street South. Police recognized the driver, identified as the defendant, and ran the vehicle’s registration that displayed McCollum’s driving status as revoked for underage drinking. McCollum told police he was unaware of his driving status being revoked. He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Adam J. Snook, 27, of Newton, was charged with operating while under the influence and was cited with speeding at 6:56 p.m. Saturday after police stopped a white Ford truck for speeding in the 400 block of North 19th Avenue East. Snook was going 50 mph in a 35 mph zone. Police initiated a stop in the 1000 block of North 19th Avenue East. He smelled of alcohol, and he told police he drank two beers that afternoon. Snook provided a breath test, which gave a result of 0.125. He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Shea H. Bucklin, 19, of Newton, was charged with driving while license denied or revoked at 7:44 p.m. Saturday after police ran the license plate of a vehicle on a red 2009 Pontiac Grand Am registered to Bucklin. Bucklin showed a driver’s license status of revoked for operating while under the influence. Bucklin was released and issued a citation to appear in court.