Newton Police Department
• Susan R. Theile, 47, of Ames, was charged with operating while under the influence, first offense at 2:55 a.m. Dec. 28. Police were called to 1200 W. 19th St. S. in reference to an intoxicated female in a red Nissan Altima. Police found the vehicle in the 1800 block of South 12th Avenue West. Police initiated a traffic stop and spoke with Theile. Theile appeared to be confused and had difficulties understanding questions and failed a field sobriety test. Theile was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Lawrence Jefferson, 36, of Chicago, and Candice M. Lynch, 33, of Newton, were charged with domestic abuse assault at 10 p.m. Dec. 3. Police were called to 602 E. Second St. S. in reference to an assault. Officers met with the victim who appeared to have injuries to the face and jaw. The victim had a broken jaw. Police have issued a warrant for Jefferson’s arrest. Lynch’s charge came from an incident at 12:38 a.m. Jan. 2 when Jefferson told police he was assaulted by Lynch and had scratches on his neck. Lynch said she shoved Jefferson and tried to get him to leave the residence. Lynch was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Lauren A. Neal, 32, of Prairie City, was charged with driving while under suspension at 10:24 p.m. Dec. 29 after a police officer saw a green Buick driving northbound on East Eighth Street South with license plates that came back to a black Chevrolet Camaro that expired in 2012. The officer pulled Neal over in the 100 block of East Eighth Street North. Neal’s driver’s license showed that it was suspended for non-payment of Iowa fines on July 8, 2008.
• David S. Utterback, 18, of Newton, was charged with second-degree theft after police received a call in reference to a theft of items in a lockbox at a residence on First Avenue West. One of the residents accused Utterback, who also lives at the home, of stealing items from the lockbox. Utterback told the other residents that he did take money, but it was cash and “police couldn’t prove it.” Utterback was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Trevor R. Bingham, 20, of Montour, was charged with possession of alcohol by person underage and license under suspension, and Taylor D. Paxton, 20, of Fremont, was charged with possession of controlled substance at 11:41 p.m. Dec. 30 after police were investigating reports of gunshots in the 600 block of North Ninth Avenue East. Police spotted a vehicle with all the windows cracked open and found Bingham and Paxton in the vehicle. Alcohol was seized from the vehicle and was claimed by Bingham. Police saw a cigar wrapper with ashes on the outside of the vehicle and it smelled of marijuana in the vehicle. Police searched Paxton’s bag and found a cigar wrapper with a burnt substance. Paxton told police she didn’t know how it got in her bag. The substance was 1.6 grams of marijuana. Bingham and Paxton were both released and issued citations to appear in court.
• Candice F. McDonald, 33, of Newton, was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia at 7:16 p.m. Dec. 31 after police saw a vehicle roll through a stop sign at the intersection of North Eighth Avenue East and East 12th Street. McDonald stopped her vehicle when she saw the police car. McDonald told the officer she had smoked marijuana earlier that afternoon but there wasn’t anything in her vehicle. In the center console the officer found a small metal pipe used to smoke a controlled substance. McDonald was released and issued a citation to appear in court.
• Jimmy R. Smith, 33, of Waukee, was charged with driving while barred and open container at 2:38 a.m. Jan. 1 after police spotted a vehicle with a broken brake light. Smith was pulled over in the 100 block of West Third Street South. Smith showed a driving status of barred. He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Richard D. Sweetman, 67, of Newton, was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia at 4:10 p.m. Jan. 1 after police were called in reference to a suspicious person sleeping in a vehicle at the West End Sinclair. Sweetman was found sleeping in his car and told police he was sick. He told police they could search him. Police found a glass pipe used to smoke methamphetamine in his pocket and he told police that it belonged to a friend. Sweetman was released and issued a citation to appear in court.
• Randall C. Mikesell Jr., 37, of Newton, was arrested at 5:51 p.m. Jan. 1 at 800 First Ave. E. on a Jasper County warrant for probation violation. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Jeremy J. Jones, 24, of Newton, was arrested at 5:27 a.m. Dec. 30 at Woodland Heights apartments on a warrant for parole violation. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Wesley R. Lewis, 30, of Cedar Falls, was charged with driving while barred and possession of drug paraphernalia after a deputy stopped him at the stop sign at West 80th Street South and Highway 48 West.