Newton Police Department
• Jessica M. Hutton-Lomeli, 28, and Taylor S. Wolf, 30, both of Newton, are charged with possession of controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia after police were called at 9:20 p.m. Dec. 22 to 1453 N. 11th Ave. E. in reference to a burglary. As part of the burglary investigation, police knocked on a nearby apartment door. Wolf answered the door and police smelled a strong odor of marijuana. Hutton-Lomeli and Wolf both live at the apartment. Police were given consent to search the apartment and found a prescription bottle with a green leafy substance in a side table drawer. There was also a metal and glass marijuana pipe and glass bong found. Police arrested Hutton-Lomeli. Wolf was issued a citation to appear in court.
• Jeffrey D. Quick, 46, of Newton, is charged with driving while license under suspension after police saw Quick driving at 4:34 a.m. Dec. 23 at the intersection of West Fourth Street and South Sixth Avenue West. Police knew Quick’s license to be suspended. Quick was pulled over and arrested in the 600 block of West Third Street South. He was transported to the Jasper County Jail.
• Carlos Castillo, 28, of West Liberty, is charged with operating while under the influence, after he was pulled over at 5:03 a.m. Dec. 24 on Interstate 80 east near mile marker 179. The Jasper County Sheriff’s Office had received 11 calls of a white Chevy Avalanche swerving in its lane. An officer made a traffic stop and Castillo smelled of alcohol. Castillo told police he drank three beers. Castillo failed a sobriety test. Castillo was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Shawn C. Dobbs, 25, of Newton, is charged with operate vehicle without owner’s consent after police were called at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 24 to 101 W. Fourth St. S. in reference to a motor vehicle theft. The victim told police Dobbs had borrowed the vehicle without permission at 9:30 a.m. Dobbs was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Austin B. Shepard, 19, of Newton, is charged with fifth-degree theft after police were called at 3:35 p.m. Dec. 24 to Hy-Vee in reference to a shop lifter. Shepard was seen by a store employee placing a bottle of Glade clean linen air freshener in his coat sleeve. Shepard didn’t pay for the item. The value of the item was $2.13. Shepard was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Jeremy J. Jones, 24, of Newton, is charged with driving while barred and eluding after police were called at 1:47 a.m. Dec. 25 in reference to a reckless driver on First Avenue West. Jones was driving a Pontiac G6 and was seen driving recklessly, failed to stop and ran several stop signs. He also drove speeds exceeding 60 mph in 25 mph zones. Jones eventually stopped and was arrested. Jones was driving with a barred license for a habitual violator. Jones was taken to the Jasper County Jail.