IOWA CITY (AP) — Police say a University of Iowa residence hall was evacuated the night before classes began after an unknown chemical was reported and a student was found unresponsive.
The 500-person capacity Slater Hall was evacuated for about four hours Sunday night. Students were allowed to return around 11:30 p.m. after police said there were no toxic or explosive dangers. Police didn’t identify the chemical.
Police spokesman Chuck Green reported a male student was transported to an area hospital after he was found in a third-floor lounge.
An update on his condition was not available Sunday night, but Green says no one was injured by the chemical. It’s unclear what was wrong with the student.