Newton Police Department
• Scott Allspach, 17, of Lambs Grove was arrested at 6:41 p.m. July 7 for violation of a no contact order after authorities were called to 301 S. 11th Ave W. after he allegedly contacted the protected party. He was referred to juvenile court services.
• Cory Beals, 45, of Melbourne was charged with simple assault at 2:11 p.m. July 8 after authorities were called to the 1300 block of First Avenue East for an assault. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Ashley Bigelow, 21, of Newton was arrested on a warrant for serious assault at 11:07 p.m. June 26 at 1001 W. Sixth St. S. She was transported to the Jasper County Jail.
• Randy D. Birkenholtz, 40, of Newton was arrested at 8:02 p.m. July 8 on one Marion County warrant for theft after authorities located him at 627 W. Second St. S. He was transported to Highway 14, where a Monroe police officer transported him to Marion County.
• Malissa Cavanh, 19, of Newton was arrested at 10:51 p.m. July 2 on four Jasper County warrants for burglary, operating a vehicle without consent, theft and unauthorized use of credit card as well as possession of a controlled substance after authorities located her at 818 E. 16th St. N. She was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Thomas E. Henry, 48, of Montezuma was charged with driving with license suspended after authorities stopped him at 3:30 p.m. July 8 in the 900 block of East 19th Street South for not wearing a seatbelt. Authorities cited him for driving while license suspended and failure to wear/maintain safety belts. He was released to appear in court.
• Jessica M. Hutton-Lomeli, 25, of Newton was charged with fifth-degree theft after authorities responded to a complaint of a shoplifter at 11:15 a.m. June 27 at Walmart. She was charged for allegedly concealing $57.20 in merchandise and leaving the store. She was released to appear in court.
• Jeremy J. Jones, 22, of Newton was charged with driving with license suspended after authorities stopped him at 12:40 a.m. July 8 in the 1700 block of South 12th Avenue West for speeding. He was cited for driving while license suspended and speeding. He was released to appear in court.
• Tigh Kriegal, 31, of Newton was charged with public intoxication at 6:20 a.m. July 7 after authorities were notified of a male stumbling along the road at 1200 First Ave E. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Troy D. Lillo, 16, of Newton and Zakk H. Weatherly, 17, of Newton each were charged with possession of alcohol under the legal age of 21 after authorities went to the Newton Senior High School at 6:37 a.m. June 23 to talk to them about a party the previous night. Both boys smelled of alcohol, and breath tests indicated they had alcohol in their systems. They were referred to juvenile court services and released.
• Joseph Mahl, 27, of Newton was arrested at 9:10 p.m. July 7 for public consumption and interference with official acts after authorities were called to 1111 N. 11th Ave E. #16 for a domestic dispute. He would not obey officers’ orders and was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
A criminal charge is merely an accusation, and the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty. It is the policy of the Newton Daily News to release the names of individuals charged with a crime who are 16 and older.