• Megan Beintema, 29, of Newton was charged with simple assault after authorities were called at 9:26 p.m. June 28 to 815 E. Seventh Ave. N. in reference to an assault. The victim reported Beintema struck her on the nose with her fist. Witnesses stated Beintema was intoxicated. She was transported to the Jasper County Jail.
• Tyler A. Clark, 23, of Newton was cited with failure to maintain control after authorities responded to a single-vehicle accident at 11:42 p.m. June 28 in the 1300 block of East Fifth Street North. Clark stated he was traveling east when he was startled by a deer and started braking hard, causing his vehicle to slide off the roadway and crash through a chainlink fence, unearthing a fence pole. The fence is on property owned by AG/IRG and managed by Bill Kaldenberg. Damage was estimated at $500 to the fence and $5,000 to Clark’s vehicle.
• Christopher L. Cleveland, 32, of Newton was charged with harassment of a public official and theft (exercising control) after authorities were dispatched at 9:02 p.m. June 29 to Hy-Vee in reference to an intoxicated person in the store. Officers determined he was wanted on a warrant, and he was additionally charged for allegedly running from authorities out of the store and giving a false name when apprehended. He also was charged for allegedly having another person’s wallet in his possession when arrested. He was transported to the Jasper County Jail.
• Scott W. Cupples, 27, of Newton was arrested at 3:08 p.m. June 29 at #10 Bungalow Court on two Jasper County warrants for burglary and drug charges. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Cody A. Daugherty, 29, of Newton was charged with driving while license barred after authorities stopped him at 1 a.m. June 28 in the 1300 block of First Avenue East for having an inoperable brake light and determined his license had been barred. He was transported to the Jasper County Jail.
• Deyling A. Machado, 36, of Vineland, N.J. was cited with failure to obey a stop sign after authorities were dispatched to a two-vehicle accident at 5:35 p.m. June 28 at Highway 14 and Interstate 80. Machado was cited for entering the intersection without stopping at the stop sign and stopping in the intersection, resulting in a vehicle driven by Cynthia P. Falcone, 48, of Newton to strike her vehicle from behind. Both vehicles sustained an estimated $500 damage.
• Marice M. Miller, 46, of Kellogg was charged with driving while license suspended after authorities stopped her at 11:41 p.m. June 28 in the 600 block of First Avenue East for failure to obey a flashing stop light. Authorities determined her license was suspended and also gave her a warning for the traffic violation. She was released to appear in court.
• Brandon D. Robertson, 32, of Newton was charged with driving while license barred after authorities stopped him at 8:23 p.m. June 28 in the 100 block of South Fifth Avenue West for not having a front license plate and determined his license had been barred. He was transported to the Jasper County Jail.
• Kyra A. Weston, 25, of Tama was charged with fifth-degree theft after authorities were dispatched at 12:37 p.m. June 28 to Walmart in reference to shoplifting. She was charged for allegedly concealing several items valued at a total of $93.37. She was transported to the Jasper County Jail.
A criminal charge is merely an accusation, and the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.