Newton Police Department
• Mackenzie L. Bookout, 17, of Newton was charged with simple assault after authorities responded to a fight at Newton Senior High School at 9:46 a.m. April 14. Bookout was charged for allegedly assaulting another female student and was referred to juvenile court services.
• Bodhi A. Elliot, 18, of Newton was charged with serious domestic assault after authorities responded to a domestic assault complaint at 4:22 p.m. April 10 at a residence in the 300 block of East 13th Street North. Elliot was charged for assaulting a male and transported to the Jasper County Jail.
• James F. McNeer, 84, of Newton was cited with following too close after authorities responded to a two-vehicle accident at 4:04 p.m. April 9. McNeer was traveling west on South Eighth Avenue West and approaching the intersection of West Fifth Street South when he struck the rear of a vehicle ahead of him driven by Joann R. Lennon, 66, of Newton. Lennon was transported to Skiff Medical Center by a friend. Lennon’s vehicle sustained an estimated $3,500 damage and McNeer’s vehicle an estimated $4,000 damage.
Jasper County Sheriff’s Office
• Henrey P. Bowman, 20, of Colfax was charged with criminal trespass on April 16 for allegedly driving onto the victim’s field in the 5300 block of West 60th Street South. The field had a no trespassing sign at the entrance. Bowman’s vehicle became stuck, damaging the soil. He was charged and released to appear in court.
• Samual A. Day, 21, of Newton was charged with possession of a controlled substance and unlawful use of license after authorities stopped him at 10:18 p.m. April 11 in the 1500 block of East 19th Street North. During a search of his vehicle, authorities found a pill identified as lisdexamfetamine. He was transported to the Jasper County Jail.
• Richard N. Fall, 59, of Colfax was charged with aggravated domestic abuse assault after authorities responded to an incident at 1:53 p.m. April 11. He was charged for allegedly assaulting a female and transported to the Jasper County Jail.
• Travis W. Howerton, 30, of Kellogg was charged April 15 with assault on a peace officer after allegedly causing an issue in the housing area of the jail, refusing to go on lockdown and then biting the sheriff when the sheriff, deputies and jail staff attempted to restrain Howerton.
• Christopher J. Lehrkamp, 27, of Newton was charged with domestic abuse assault after authorities responded to an incident reported at 9:45 p.m. April 10 at a residence in the 300 block of Highway S-52 North. Lehrkamp was charged for allegedly assaulting a female and was transported to the Jasper County Jail.
A criminal charge is merely an accusation, and the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty. It is the policy of the Newton Daily News to release the names of individuals charged with a crime who are 16 and older.