Tragic accident led reader’s father to sparklers-only policy

To the editor:

I read with interest your column in the March 27 issue on fireworks. I’d like to tell you a true story.

My brother, at 12 years of age in Omaha, threw a firecracker in the back alley. When it did not go off, he went to find out why.

It had lit under a bottle and as he headed off to look, it went off. The glass came up and cut his throat. He died instantly.

Dad saw to it I had sparklers only, and he took me to see the city’s aerial display.

John Mellinger

Newton