Fair
42°FFairFull Forecast

Tragic accident led reader’s father to sparklers-only policy

Published: Friday, March 28, 2014 10:51 a.m. CDT

To the editor:

I read with interest your column in the March 27 issue on fireworks. I’d like to tell you a true story.

My brother, at 12 years of age in Omaha, threw a firecracker in the back alley. When it did not go off, he went to find out why.

It had lit under a bottle and as he headed off to look, it went off. The glass came up and cut his throat. He died instantly.

Dad saw to it I had sparklers only, and he took me to see the city’s aerial display.

John Mellinger

Newton

More News

National video

Reader Poll

Did the Newton City Council make the right decision in allocating $1 million toward acquisitions and demolitions of commercial buildings on First Avenue and the interchange corridors?
Yes
No
Unsure