Newton Wellness Coalition going strong after kickoff event
The Newton Wellness Coalition is up and running after the kickoff event earlier this month.
The wellness coalition has partnered with many events across town to promote wellness in the community of Newton. The coalition will be a part of the Pink Noses and Blue Toes run at Skiff Medical Center at 9 a.m. Saturday as well as the Jasper County Conservation Ice Fishing Tournament from 10:15 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Jacob Krumm Preserve.
The following are additional events the coalition is encouraging participates to consider:
• Jasper County Conservation snow shoe and cross country skiing on Feb. 1 and 15 at Jacob Krumm Preserve.
• Sledding day on Feb. 14 at Sunset Park sponsored by City of Newton Parks and Recreation.
• Attend an exercise class at Newton YMCA in February.
• Attend one night of Zumba at the Elks Lodge on Monday or Thursday through the month of March from 6 to 7 p.m.
• Check out an exercise video at the library.
• Walk on the YMCA track on a January weekday.
• Attend Jasper County Conservation’s Older, Wiser and Livelier Seniors on Feb. 12 or March 12 at 10 a.m. at the conservation office.
• Create an account on the United Way “Get Connected” website and sign up for the Newton Wellness Coalition Challenge.
• Check out a book to read at the library.
• Attend the Newton Community Theatre Production: “Les Miserables,” showing March 14-16, 18, 20-22.
• Donate blood at DMACC on Feb. 20 and Mar. 20 from 1 to 6 p.m.
• Attend Newton Senior High School production of “Pride and Prejudice” on March 7 and 8.
• Attend Band Extravaganza at the Newton Senior High School on March 11.
• “Wellness Wednesday” Attend a free nutritional movie at DMACC over lunch on Jan. 29, Feb. 26 and Mar. 26 from noon to 1 p.m.
• Attend a Hy-Vee Cooking Class on Jan. 28, Feb. 18, Mar. 25 at 6 p.m. Cost is $5.
• Attend a pre-diabetes class at Skiff on March 27 at 9:30 a.m.
• Donate fresh or canned fruit to the Community Meal at First United Methodist Church Feb. 3 to 5 at the main office.
• Attend Hy-Vee Health Market Sampling Feb. 12 or March 12 from 4 to 6:30 p.m.
• Catch the Hy-Vee Wellness Bus on March 15 at Hy-Vee