Newton Police Department
• Ronni E. Bennett, 16, of Des Moines was charged with assault on a uniformed police officer and interference with official actrs after officers were dispatched at 10:24 p.m. Monday to 1103 W. Sixth St. S. on a report of a runaway. Upon arrival, Bennett gave officers a fake name and date of birth. After attempting to take her into custody, she tripped one of the officers. When officers caught up with her, they took her down to the ground, where she began kicking their legs. In the patrol car, she banged her head against the cage, and an officer had to sit in the back with her to prevent her from harming herself.
• Two 14-year-old Newton males were charged with assault after officers were notified at 1:58 p.m. Aug. 29 of a fight that occurred on a Newton Community School District bus. Video surveillance captured the two boys throwing items at each other. When the altercation escalated, one of the boys threw a punch that connected with a girl, causing her to sustain a hairline fracture to her jaw and a concussion. One of the boys also caused an estimated $82.28 in damage to a window, and he was charged with criminal mischief.
Jasper County Sheriff’s Office
• Dustin R. Bestell, 20, of Baxter was charged with driving while license revoked and driving while license suspended after officers stopped him at 3:58 p.m. Thursday at 5811 Highway F17 West. He was taken to jail.
• Scott G. Colebank, 45, of Cedar Rapids was served a warrant while intoxicated while he was in the Jasper County Jail at 8:45 p.m. Tuesday for failing to appear in court.
• Jasmine M. Edmisson, 21, of Newton was charged with driving while license suspended after officers stopped her at 4:50 p.m. Saturday. She was placed in jail.
• Michael J. Eppstein, 32, of Newton was served a warrant for probation violation at 12:25 a.m. Saturday at 6830 S. 60th Ave. E. He was placed in jail.
• Steven M. Graham, 23, of Jewell was served a warrant at 5:43 p.m. Thursday at the Jasper County Jail for failure to appear for trial.
• Matthew A. Gregory, 35, of Baxter was charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated after deputies found him facedown in the lanes of traffic at 1:24 a.m. Thursday in the 8000 block of Highway F17 West. Gregory failed field sobriety tests, and a breath test at the scene showed a BAC of over .08. When tested at the sheriff’s office, his BAC was .079. He was released to appear in court.
• Patrick G. Hopkins, 45, of Knoxville was charged with driving while license suspended after officers stopped him at 6:21 p.m. Friday in the 6000 block of Highway 14 South. He was taken to jail.
• Heather D. Lande, 23, of Des Moines was served a warrant at 12:40 p.m. Thursday for failure to appear in court.
• Daryl B. Merrill, 19, of Newton was served a warrant for second-degree criminal mischief at 10 p.m. Thursday at the Jasper County Jail.
• Kathryn, J. Miller, 26, of Newton was charged with possession of marijuana after deputies stopped her for a traffic violation at 4:49 p.m. Sept. 16 at Blair Street and High Street. Deputies found a pill container on her keychain that had marijuana inside it. She was also cited for driving while license suspended. She was placed in jail.
• Joshua S. Nelson, 27, of Monroe was charged with second-degree fraudulent practices after Nelson collected $4,653 from the Iowa Workforce Department after they alleged Nelson was employed during the time he was receiving these benefits. He was later cited and released to appear in court.
A criminal charge is merely an accusation, and the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty. It is the policy of the Newton Daily News to release the names of individuals charged with a crime who are 16 and older.