Newton Police Department
• Kelli D. Cooper, 51, of Newton was charged with public intoxication after officers were dispatched at 1:35 p.m. Monday to the 700 block of First Avenue West on report of an intoxicated female. A PBT showed that Cooper was not under the influence of alcohol, but after other field sobriety tests Cooper was taken to the police station, where she refused a chemical test, stating that she had used drugs three weeks ago. She was placed in jail.
• Anthony M. Houle, 33, of Newton was charged with public intoxication after officers were dispatched at 12:40 a.m. Friday to the 400 block of East Seventh Street South on a report of a male lying on the ground. Upon arrival, officers noticed a strong odor of liquor coming from him. He refused field sobriety tests. Houle had a previous public intoxication arrest. He was placed in jail.
• Nathan L. McCumber, 26, of Newton was charged with serious domestic assault after officers were dispatched at 11:47 a.m. Sunday to 1501 E. Sixth St. S. on a report of a domestic disturbance. An argument over spraying a wasp turned into a physical altercation. The victim had a cut over her left eye. McCumber was placed in jail.
• Jeremy L. Payne, 34, of Newton was arrested on an active warrant after officers were dispatched at 6:19 p.m. Monday to 912 First Ave. W. on report of a disturbance. Payne was located there and had an active warrant out of Jasper County for violating his probation from an original charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. He was taken to jail.
• Deonte L. Wilson, 25, of Newton was charged with serious assault after officers were dispatched at 2 a.m. Sunday to downtown Newton on report of a male who had been knocked out. He was struck in the back of the head. Several people witnessed the assault. Wilson was located in the 300 block of East Fourth Street North at 2:27 a.m. He was placed in jail.
Jasper County Sheriff’s Office
• Brian W. Anderson, 32, of Newton was charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia after deputies performed a traffic stop at 4:12 p.m. Aug. 8 in the 300 block of Iowa Speedway Drive. Deputies found a green leafy substance and a smoking pipe while taking inventory of the car. He was taken to jail.
• Jesse S. Stewart, 28, of Big Lake, Minn., was charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia after deputies spoke with Stewart at 12:50 p.m. Sunday in the Iowa Speedway Parking Lot C. While speaking with him, deputies looked inside his vehicle and saw a bag with a green leafy substance, which Stewart admitted was marijuana. He also displayed a smaller bag filled with marijuana. Stewart also had three smoking pipes. He was taken to jail.