Inmate gives birth at county jail
DES MOINES (AP) — An inmate gave birth at the Polk County Jail after she was returned by a local hospital.
The Des Moines Register says 25-year-old Ieasha Meyers of Des Moines gave birth Aug. 29 in the jail’s medical holding area. Sheriff’s Sgt. Brent Long says Meyers was taken to the hospital for assessment and then returned.
Long says he doesn’t know why Meyers was sent back to the jail instead of being admitted. He couldn’t remember a similar incident at the jail during his 21 years with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.
More State News
- Dubuque leaders seek to dump greyhound racing
- Iowa nursing home fined for sex offender lapse
- Iowa insurer pokes fun at federal website in ads
- Dog lost after Iowa crash reunited with owner
- U. of Iowa says FEMA won't require more insurance