Rain and Breezy
54°FRain and BreezyFull Forecast

Looking Back in Newton’s History

Taken from the files of the Newton Daily News

Published: Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013 12:04 p.m. CDT

100 Years Ago This Week — Sept. 1-7, 1913       

About 3, 500 people attended Newton’s first annual Labor Day parade and picnic held on Sept. 1 at the Fairgrounds in Newton.  (Note: the Fairgrounds location is now Maytag Park) …

A contract for $42,500 has been awarded to Anton Swack of Dubuque to build the new Methodist Church in Newton…

The Friedman Institute has petitioned the City Council to allow them to open a tuberculosis hospital and sanitarium in Newton. It would be located on the Willis McColloms property in Oak Park, beyond the Rock Island line. Neighbors have petitioned the Council to reject the Institute’s plans, because of the effect on their property values. Colfax rejected the Institute in June of this year.

75 Years Ago This Week — Sept. 1-7, 1938  

The meat market in the Newton A & P store (116 N. Second Ave. W.) has been taken over by the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co., operators of the store. The market will carry a complete line of meats, fresh fish and all varieties of cheese. (In previous years the meat market in the store was locally owned and operated) …

The Beard School of Music (111 1/2 W. Second St. N.) advertised special rates for students enrolling “this week” for lessons in piano, voice, pipe organ and/or stringed instruments …

Max Kautz, 12, crossed the finish line one-tenth of a second ahead of Ford Thompson in the Newton Soap Box Derby, held on W. Ninth St. S

National video

Reader Poll

What should be done with the Westwood Golf Course clubhouse facility?
Tear it down and build new.
Renovate existing facility.