Newton Police Department
• Pamela J. Britton, 53, of West Lafayette, Ind., was charged with fifth-degree theft after officers were dispatched at 12:50 p.m. Monday to Walmart on report of a theft. Britton attempted to steal nine items and was observed eating chicken and grapes in the store that she had not paid for. She was taken to jail.
• Matthew B. Campbell, 24, of Rockford, Ill., was charged with public intoxication after officers were dispatched at 10:22 p.m. Saturday to 1100 W. Sixth St. S. on report of several people involved in an argument outside the reporting party’s house. Campbell waived his right to a chemical test. He was placed in jail.
• Kristofer R. Carpenter, 25, of Newton was charged with driving while license revoked and cited for financial liability in an accident after an officer was dispatched at 12:50 p.m. Thursday to the 100 block of First Avenue East. He admitted to having a revoked license and “barely bumping” the other vehicle. He was taken to jail.
• Kylar Schwabe, 18, if Newton was charged for driving without a seatbelt and driving with a suspended license after officers performed a routine traffic stop at 7:08 p.m. Monday at the 900 block of First Street North. He was released to appear in court.
Jasper County Sheriff’s Office
• Hiedi S. Smith, 28, of Newton was charged with driving while license barred after deputies performed a routine traffic stop at 6:20 p.m. Saturday at the 4400 block of Highway 14 South. She was placed in jail.