Newton Police Department
• Jerry W. Bird, 45, of Newton was charged with fifth-degree theft after officers were dispatched at 3:16 p.m. Wednesday to Walgreens on report of a theft. An employee witnessed Bird attempt to steal a bottle of Anbesol. The bottle was valued at $8.47. He was released to appear in court.
• Rachel M. Magdaleno, 25, of Newton was charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief after officers were dispatched at 3:42 p.m. Tuesday to 1453 N. 11th Ave. E. on report of a fight. Upon arrival, an officer saw Magdaleno holding an aluminum baseball bat and later admitted to police that she used the bat to damage the windshield of a car causing $310 in damage. She was released to appear in court.
• Elena Ordonez, 47, of Newton was charged with public intoxication after officers were dispatched at 12:55 p.m. Thursday at Hy-Vee on report of an intoxicated female. Upon arrival, the officer noticed a strong alcoholic odor coming from Ordonez. At the police department she refused a datamaster test. She was released to appear in court.
• Jordan W. Sedlock, 23, of Grinnell was charged with fifth-degree theft after Grinnell police officers arrested him at 2:26 p.m. Wednesday in Grinnell on a Newton Police Department warrant in connection with an incident that occurred at 4:56 p.m. July 24 at Walgreens. Newton officers were dispatched on that date to Walgreens on report of a shoplifter. Sedlock and another individual were seen on camera taking items into the bathroom. Sedlock was identified on camera by an Iowa Hawkeye tattoo on his neck, and he allegedly attempted to steal several Iowa Hawkeye T-shirts. He was taken to jail. The total amount of stolen merchandise was $150.01. He was taken to jail.
Jasper County Sheriff’s Office
• Janet L. Paxton, 53, of Monroe was involved in a single-vehicle accident at 4:45 p.m. July 28 in the 2300 block of Republic Avenue in Monroe. Paxton was airlifted to Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines. Paxton was given warnings for failure to maintain control, failure to have a valid motorcycle license and failure to have insurance.