Newton Police Department
• Tara James, 38, of Newton was charged with driving while license revoked after officers performed a routine traffic stop at 3:57 p.m. July 23 in the 600 block of N. Sixth Ave. E. She was released to appear in court.
• Nathan M. Beintema, 30, of Newton was charged with serious assault after officers were dispatched at 11:43 p.m. Monday to 611 E. Second St. S. on report of a fight. A victim told officers that Beintema struck him on the head with a lawn chair. Police did observe a scratch on his forehead. He was taken to jail.
• Richard E. Heath, 49, was charged with public intoxication after officers were dispatched at 8:15 p.m. Sunday to 4400 S. Second Ave. E. on report of an unwanted male. When officers arrived, Heath had bloodshot eyes and told officers he was on a drug and that he could feel the effects of the drug when he nodded his head at the officers. He was taken to jail.
• Brandon M. McConnell, 26, of Newton was charged with possession of methamphetamine, criminal trespass and fifth-degree theft after officers were dispatched at 1:45 p.m. Sunday to Walmart on report of a shoplifter. Upon arrival, McConnell had already left the building. When he left the building, an asset protection employee witnessed McConnell throw an object under a car. The object was a baggie filled with meth. He was taken to jail.
• Melissa M. Schroder, 30, was cited for failure to maintain control after officers were dispatched at 4:05 a.m. July 23 to the 600 block of W. Fourth St. N. Schroder lost control of her vehicle and caused $1,400 in damage to her car by hitting the train tracks.
Jasper County Sheriff’s Office
• Glen C. Joens, 47, of Des Moines was charged with driving while license suspended after deputies were dispatched to 12:22 a.m. Thursday at the 20 1/2 mile marker on Highway 163 on report of a car accident. Joens was travelling eastbound when his tire blew out. He lost control and went into the ditch on the west side of the highway. Joens had some neck pain and was transported Mercy Medical Center. He was released to appear in court.