The city has completed the 2013 City-wide HMA Pavement Rehabilitation Project and will vote on a resolution accepting that completion at Monday night’s council meeting.
The entire project cost the Public Works Department $44,505.25 from a $50,000 budget. The streets were resurfaced, using hot-mix asphalt, were originally resurfaced in 2009 as part of a federal stimulus package.
Gee Asphalt Systems from Cedar Rapids was given the contract for $38,241 on May 6 to complete the resurfacing. Gee Asphalt Systems applied a fog seal that rejuvenated the pavement by applying oils and resin that had been lost in the original asphalt.
The reason the total cost was higher than the contract by $6,264 is because city officials added another street, West Fourth Street South. City Administrator Bob Knabel approved the work order change.
Along with the resolution, the city will make it’s final payment of $1,335.16 to Gee Asphalt Systems.
The city council will also approve and discuss the following:
• Approve an outdoor special event for the Scoreboard along with liquor licenses for Sunday sales for the following businesses: Casey’s, Hy-Vee Gas, Petro Gas and a permit to sell native wine for the Beckman Gallery.
• Resolution approving quotes for prohibited sanitary sewer discharge removal work.
• Resolution establishing the approved set of unit prices for financial assistance payments and designating an approved contractor for prohibited sanitary sewer discharge removal work in district two.
• Resolution authorizing public works department equipment transfers.
• Public hearing on an ordinance vacating and disposing of unimproved road right-of-way located in the 1400 block of North Second Avenue West. The council will also vote on that ordinance.
• Resolution approving the minor plat for R.J. Ranch Subdivision.
• A third consideration of an ordinance to add stop signs at the intersection of West Third Street North and North Second Avenue West. The council will also be in the first consideration of amending the ordinance to remove parking spots from the intersection to improve sight distance.
• Resolution approving entering into an agreement for law enforcement services at the Iowa Speedway.
• Resolution approving an agreement with the Newton Community School District for the Newton Police Department to provide school crossing guards for the 2013-2014 school year through the 2015-2016 school year.
• Resolution approving entering into a contract with the Municipal Collections of America to collect unpaid debt to the City of Newton.
• Resolution authorizing purchase of a water reel for athletic fields.
• Resolution accepting FAA grant for the 2013 Apron Improvements Project at the Newton Municipal Airport.
• Resolution fixing the amounts to be assessed against individual private properties for the abatement of nuisance violations.
Staff writer Dave Hon may be contacted at (641) 792-3121, ext. 425, or at email@example.com.