Newton Police Department
• Michael A. Criqui, 21, of Newton was charged with fifth-degree criminal mischief, interference with official acts and serious domestic assault after officers were dispatched at 6:26 p.m. July 15 to 512 S. Fifth Ave. E. on report of a fight. Upon arrival, Criqui ran away on foot and was later found in a laundry room. Officers told him to place his hands behind his back, and when he refused, he was assisted to the ground. Earlier that night he had allegedly struck a vehicle with his hands, causing damage, and struck another male individual. He was taken to jail.
• Emily L. Henderson, 17, of Newton was charged with simple assault after officers were dispatched at 7:35 p.m. July 14 to Tropical Sno on report of an assault. The victim said Henderson engaged in an argument with her and struck her. Henderson and a parent later appeared at the police department, where Henderson admitted to hitting the victim. She was released to appear in court.
• Kimberly S. Kizer, 45, of Newton was charged with serious domestic assault after officers were dispatched at 2 a.m. July 17 to 1803 First Ave. E. on report of a domestic assault. Upon arrival, officers did see visible scratch marks on the victim. Kizer had a previous assault conviction in 2007 with intent or displaying a weapon. She was placed in jail.
• Christopher N. Mellecker, 30, of Newton was charged with public intoxication after officers were dispatched at 12:48 a.m. July 13 to the Iowa Speedway on report of someone trying to steal banners. When an officer approached the subject, he smelled alcohol on Mellecker’s breath. He was taken to jail.
• Kathryn J. Miller, 26, of Newton was charged with fifth-degree theft after officers were dispatched at 4:36 p.m. July 16 to Walmart in reference to a shoplifter. An asset protection employee witnessed Miller attempt to steal $15.86 worth items. She was released to appear in court.
• John M. Neal, 38, of Newton was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana, possession of prescription medication without a prescription and interference with official acts after officers were dispatched at 11:39 p.m. Sunday to 1302 S. 11th Ave. E. on report of an individual with an outstanding warrant. Upon arrival, Neal ran away on foot and jumped over a fence. Officers caught up with him in the front yard, and Neal was taken to the ground. He was taken to jail.
Jasper County Sheriff’s Office
• Ashley K. Bracy, 23, of Grinnell was charged with driving while license suspended and unlawful use of license after officers performed a routine traffic stop at 5:39 p.m. Monday in the 9500 block of Highway 6 East on a routine traffic stop. After running her registration, officers discovered that her license was suspended. She was taken to jail.
• Mason R. Lafferty, 21, of Prairie City was charged with simple assault after Lafferty turned himself in at 11:28 p.m. Monday at the Jasper County Sheriff’s Office. He was wanted on an outstanding warrant.