Newton Police Department
• Derrick S. Bayliff, 41, of Mason City was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia after officers were dispatched at 10:10 p.m. Thursday to 208 E. Fourth St. S on report of a another person who the police were searching for. When officers arrived, Bayliff said that the person officers were looking for was not at the residence. A pocket knife was found in Bayliff’s back pocket which had burnt marijuana residue at the end of it. The following day, Bayliff was located again at the same residence house after searching for him in relation to Thursday’s charges. Upon arrival, officers searched him and found a pipe and .2 grams of loose marijuana in his pocket. He was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana. He was taken to jail.
• Joshua D. Eilander, 25, of Newton was charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated, possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, possession of drug paraphernalia and interference with official acts after officers were dispatched at 11:30 p.m. Saturday to Highway 6 on report of vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed heading into town. After activating emergency lights, the vehicle pulled over and Eilander jumped out of the vehicle. Police found him later hiding in brush. His Bac was measured at .141 at the police department. A baggie filled with 9.6 grams of marijuana and a grinder were also found in his car. Eilander was taken to jail.
• Travis W. Howerton, 29, of Newton was charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief after officers were dispatched at 8:59 p.m. Saturday to the 500 block of E. Fifth St. S. on report of someone making suicidal threats. At the scene, Howerton had one arm in a sling and the officer placed his good arm in a handcuff that was attached to Howerton’s belt. Howerton’s mother then drove by and he began screaming profanities at her and threatening to kill her. Howerton then punched himself in the face. He then slammed his head against the patrol car causing $400 of damage. He was taken to jail.
• Danny G. Petro, 31, of Newton was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a controlled substance, possession of marijuana and accessory after the fact after officers were dispatched at 7:10 p.m. Thursday to 910 N. Sixth Ave. E. on a warrant arrest for another person. Upon arrival, officers heard scuffling and when they entered the home they saw a purse on the ground, which indicated that the person they were looking for was in the residence. One officer noticed a bathroom door ajar and found the person. A further search resulted in a seizure of 1.7 grams of marijuana and 6 dosage units of Vyvanse. Petro was taken to jail.
• Melody S. Ryther, 51, of Newton was charged with criminal trespass after she appeared at the police department Saturday at 3:25 p.m. She was released to appear in court.
• Lindsi A. Voshell, 24, of Mitchellville was arrested for a warrant for failure to appear for a theft charge out of Jasper County after officers were dispatched at 7:10 p.m. Thursday to 910 N. Sixth Ave. E. She was taken to jail.