Enjoy July 4th without jeopardizing your life or others’
To the editor:
For many Americans, July 4th has become a popular week-end to celebrate with friends and family. Unfortunately, due to the large volume of impaired drivers, the holiday also has become very dangerous.
Following these easy steps, a driver can enjoy a safe July 4th without jeopardizing your life and the lives of others who may be on the road.
• Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin. Before drinking, please designate a sober driver and give that person your keys.
• If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation to insure you get home safely;
• If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to call 911.
• And remember, if you know someone who is about to drive while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get where they are going safely.
The boating law of .08 is enforced. There will be extra officers on the water and highways. Officers will be watching for texting while driving, speeding, alcohol and reckless drivers.
Drinking and driving is one of America’s deadliest problems, don’t be part of the problem. One drink can cause problems and “buzzed” driving.
Remember to always wear your seatbelt. There is someone at home waiting for your safe return.
Trooper Doug Cutts
Iowa State Patrol
Safety Education Unit
More Local Editorials News
- Hometown Kid: Something about a walk
- Ty's Take: Gone, but not forgotten
- Let me photograph your favorite stuffed animal
- Southeast Asia can’t get enough of Iowa
- Board of Education needs to consider Iowa Core math revisions