Newton Police Department
• Zachary A. Cupples, 18, of Newton was charged with fifth-degree theft at 9:31 p.m. Wednesday after he allegedly took a sandwich from the Walmart deli and ate it in the store without paying. The sandwich value was $3.72. He was released to appear.
• Colin C. Hansen,16, of Newton was charged with fifth-degree theft at 3:10 p.m. Saturday after employees allegedly observed him taking a pair of sunglasses and a watch, valued at $22.34, from Walmart without paying for them. The case was referred to juvenile authorities.
• Devin T. Kovach, 18, of Newton, and Ian D. McCandless, 19, of Newton were each charged with fifth-degree theft at 12:36 a.m. Friday for allegedly stealing two donuts each, valued at $1.16, from Walmart. Both were taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Francis R. Nokes, 77, of Newton was charged with fifth-degree theft at 3:27 p.m. Tuesday after employees allegedly saw him taking $8.32 worth of medicine and candy from Hy-Vee without paying for it. He was released to appear.
• Kyle A. Smith, 18, of Kellogg was charged with serious assault after police were called to 701 E. 10th St. N. at 6:36 p.m. Friday to investigate an assault. Smith allegedly came to the residence where he confronted a male victim and threw a stick at the him, which struck him on the chin causing him to bleed. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Melissa K. Stephen, 36, of Newton was arrested on for an outstanding Jasper County warrant for a violation of probation on a forgery charge at 732 First Ave. E. at 10:26 p.m. Friday. She was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
Jasper County Sheriff’s Department
• Derrick S. Bayliff, 41, of Newton was charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia after officers arrived at 208 E. Fourth St. N. at 5:15 p.m. Thursday. When police arrived, authorities noticed an odor of marijuana. When questioned, he admitted using marijuana and gave officers a leather case with a syringe in it and consented to a search where officers found multiple pipes, rolling papers and burnt residue. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Richard L. Grimes, 44, of Grimes was arrested on a Jasper County warrant issued for failure to appear to a probationary revocation hearing after officers stopped him near the Mitchellville exit of Interstate 80 at 2:16 p.m. Saturday. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Kathy A. Manatt, 59, of Kellogg was charged with driving a revoked license after officers stopped her in the 1200 block of Highway 22 at 10:06 p.m. Sunday. She was taken to the Jasper County Jail.