DES MOINES — This week the Des Moines Performing Arts unveiled its 2013-14 season. In all, 22 productions were announced as part of the Willis Broadway Series, the Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield Family Series, The Dance Series and the Prairie Meadows Temple Theater Comedy Series.
“This is just a terrific season all the way around,” said Des Moines Performing Arts President and CEO Jeff Chelesvig. “We’re very proud to bring this world-class line-up because we know our audiences truly value and support high quality professional live theater and programs that create memorable experiences.”
Season ticket packages for the Willis Broadway Series go on sale April 29 and start at $160 for the five-show package. All other series’ season ticket packages will go on sale in summer 2013.
Des Moines Performing Arts also announced high-caliber line-ups in the Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield Family Series, The Dance Series and the Prairie Meadows Temple Comedy Series.
“We’re committed to offering a variety of programs and shows that are exciting and accessible to everyone,” Des Moines Performing Arts Director of Programming and Education Eric Olmscheid said. “Creating shared experiences is important to us.”
Willis Broadway Series
The five-show 2013-14 season ticket package features two 2012 Tony Award winners. Additionally, the series will include a number of smash hits, some of which are Des Moines audience favorites.
The five-show season ticket package will include the following shows:
• “Irving Berlin’s White Christmas,” Dec. 10-15;
• 2012 Tony Award winner for Best Revival of a Musical “The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess” April 1-6, 2014;
• 2012 Tony Award winner for Best Musical “Once” April 22-27, 2014;
• “We Will Rock You,” an homage to the hit rock group Queen, June 10-15, 2014; and
• “The Phantom of the Opera” Sept. 10-21, 2014.
The strong line-up of series add-ons includes:
• The North American premier of “Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty” Sept. 27 and 28.
• Broadway blockbuster “Wicked” Oct. 30-Nov. 10;
• “American Idiot,” based on Green Day’s groundbreaking rock opera, Jan. 24 and 25, 2014;
• “Rain — A Tribute to the Beatles” Feb. 4 and 5, 2014; and
• Blue Man Group Feb. 18-23, 2014.
“We’re able to attract these world-class Broadway tours because of our extraordinarily strong season ticket sales,” Chelesvig said. “Top Broadway producers love bringing their touring productions here because they will play to nicely-filled houses that genuinely embrace their performances,” he added.
Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield Family Series
Celebrating its fifth season, the popular Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Family Series brings five fun-filled productions enjoyed by children between the ages 4 and 10. These include:
• “The Firebird” featuring the Des Moines Symphony with the Enchantment Theatre Company on Jan. 11, 2014;
• “Spirit of Uganda” Feb. 8, 2014;
• “Stuart Little” March 29, 2014;
• “Love” May 17, 2014; and
• “Cirque Mechanics: Birdhouse Factory May 17, 2014 (in Temple Theater).
Audience members can also enhance their theater experience by attending the Discovery Party, a free event one hour before each performance.
The Dance Series
The Des Moines Performing Arts’ Dance Series returns for its fourth season of presenting internationally acclaimed dance companies. Alonzo King Lines Ballet will headline the three-show series Jan. 18, 2014. It will be joined by:
• Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater on March 18; and
• Trey McIntyre Project on May 1, 2014.
Before and after each performance, audience members will have an opportunity to connect with the company’s artistic staff and dancers through DANCEtalks.
Temple Comedy Series
An eclectic mix of comedy involving Tupperware, news headlines and an intergalactic nemesis are part of the four-show package for the Prairie Meadows Temple Comedy Series. It will include:
• “Dixie’s Tupperware Party” Dec. 4-29;
• “The Theater’s Whirled News Tonight” Feb. 26-March 9, 2014;
• “Power Balladz: The Ultimate ’80s Singalong” April 10-12, 2014; and
• “The Intergalactic Nemesis Book One: Target Earth” April 30-May 11, 2014.
Des Moines Performing Arts estimates that all four series will attract more than 200,000 patrons for the 2013-14 Season.