Newton Police Department
• Christopher M. Doran, 56 of Newton was charged with public intoxication after officers responded to call referencing a male wondering in the 400 block of East 19th Street South at 7:03 p.m. Wednesday. When officers arrived at the scene, they noticed Doran had an odor of alcohol. He was unable to decline a chemical test and had trouble standing. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Kristie K. Duckworh, 43, of Newton was cited for driving while license suspended after officers stopped her for a traffic violation in the 1500 block of North Fourth Avenue East at 1:21 p.m Tuesday. She was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Jennifer E. Hotchkiss, 30, of Newton was charged with fifth-degree theft after officers were dispatched to Wal-Mart at 12:04 p.m. Wednesday. Employees noticed two shoppers concealing $68.66 worth of items and were able to stop Hotchkiss before exiting the building, but the second person was able to leave the store. As Hotchkiss was waiting for a ride after officers released her to appear, a male identified as Sang N. Nguyen, 37, of Des Moines attempted to pick her up at the Newton Police Department. Officers noticed he matched the description of the other alleged shoplifter, and charged him with fifth-degree theft. Nguyen was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Dawn L. Inman, 38, of Ralston was cited for failure to obey a stop sign following a two-car accident at the intersection of North Third Avenue East and E. 12th Street North at 7:15 a.m. Wednesday. Inman was traveling southbound on East 12th Street North when she allegedly failed to obey a stop sign and collided with a vehicle driven by Johnny L. Wagnor, 56, of Newton. Inman was taken to Skiff Medical Center and her vehicle damages were estimated at $6,000. Wagnor’s vehicle damages were estimated at $5,500.
• Vincent L. Spoonemore, 59, of Newton turned himself into authorities for an outstanding warrant issued for failure to appear for driving with a suspended license charge at 10:32 p.m. Wednesday.
Jasper County Sheriff’s Office
• Hannah Arends, 18, of Newton was charged with third-degree theft after officers were dispatched to 2822 S. 44th Ave. at 6:31 Wednesday following their investigation of an incident that took place earlier in the week. Arends allegedly stole $440 from her grandmother’s purse, and while picking up her grandmother medication, wrote a check for $225.54 more than the required amount. Police said she later admitted to use the money to purchase illegal drugs. She was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Jose M. Andrade-Yepez, 39, of Marshalltown was charged with driving while license barred and failure to have SR22 insurance after officers stopped him for a traffic stop on Highway 145 and Runner Ave. During the traffic stop, officers noticed an open container of alcohol, and he was additional charged for it. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Brandy J. McPhillips, 26, of Des Moines was arrested for operating while intoxicated after officers assisted her in a accident on Highway 163 near the 20 mile marker at Thursday at 12:39 a.m. She allegedly lost control of her vehicle and was stuck in a ditch. When officers arrived at the scene, they noticed she smelled of alcohol. McPhillips told officers she did drink earlier and her blood alcohol content was more than twice the legal limit. Upon investigation, officers discovered she did not have insurance and was charged with driving without insurance and failure to maintain control. When police searched her vehicle, they discovered a green leafy substance that was later identified as marijuana, and was charged with possession of marijuana. When officers took her to the Jasper County Jail, they found a pill on her that was later identified as alprazolam, and she was unable to provide authorities with a prescription and was additionally charged with possession of a prescription medication without subscription.