Iraq war veteran gets tryout with Dodgers
GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — A war veteran from Iraq who lost part of his leg in an explosion tried out for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Daniel “Doc” Jacobs was among 80 hopefuls at the spring training complex of the Dodgers. He was encouraged to attend by Hall of Famer and former Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda.
Jacobs was a Navy corpsman and assigned to a Marine division in 2006 when he was injured by an improvised explosive device. He lost his left leg below the knee and also sustained foot and hand injuries. He went through more than 50 surgeries.
More Professional News
- Golf adopts rule to ban anchored putting stroke
- Carpenter earns pole for Indy 500
- Jimmie Johnson races to record 4th All-Star win
- Blackhawks beat Red Wings 4-1 in series opener
- Derby winner Orb named even money favorite in Preakness