• Shannon C. Miller, 37, of Monroe was charged with operating while intoxicated after authorities stopped him at 1:52 a.m. Sunday at Highway 14 and First Avenue West for failing to yield at a stop sign and nearly hitting a patrol vehicle. He smelled of alcohol, failed sobriety tests and had a blood alcohol content of .105. Miller was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Daniel J. Sheetz, 33, of Toledo was cited with following too close after authorities responded to a two-vehicle accident at 12:58 p.m. Friday. Sheetz was traveling south in the 1600 block of Highway 14 when he struck the rear of a vehicle ahead of him driven by Celia A. Phillips, 72, of Newton. No one was injured. Phillips’ vehicle sustained an estimated $500 damage and Sheetz’s an estimated $900 damage.
• Alex M. Spangenburg, 19, of Newton was charged with driving while license barred after authorities responded to a complaint at 10:22 p.m. Friday of a snow mobile traveling at a high rate of speed through town. The snow mobile was located at 413 W. Second St. S., and Spangenburg was charged for driving with a barred license and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Tyler P. Turkett, 30, of Abeline, Texas, was charged with public intoxication after authorities responded to a complaint of an intoxicated person at 2 a.m. Sunday at the Manhattan. Turkett failed sobriety tests, was charged and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Dylan J. Verwers, 17, of Monroe was charged with disorderly conduct after authorities responded to a complaint of a student out of control at 11:30 a.m. Friday at Basics & Beyond Alternative High School. Verwers was charged for allegedly throwing items and breaking a fan, and he was referred to juvenile court services.
• Eric F. Wadhams, 27, of Malcolm was charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia after authorities stopped him at 12:50 a.m. Monday in the 100 block of East Second Street South for having an inoperable license plate light. Wadhams allegedly had marijuana and a marijuana pipe in his possession and was taken to the Jasper County Jail. He was given a warning for the light.
• Laura E. Whitson, 23, of Des Moines was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and driving while license suspended after authorities stopped her at 6:20 p.m. Saturday in the 1000 block of Highway 14 South. A marijuana pipe was found in the vehicle during a search. Whitson was charged and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Three juveniles — Carly A. Colville, 17, and Sydney K. McLaughlin, 17, both of Colfax, and a 15-year-old Newton female —were charged with possession of alcohol while underage after authorities responded to a complaint of a possibly underage drinking party at 10:22 p.m. Saturday at 224 E. 25th St. N. The girls were charged and released to their parents.
• Several individuals were charged with consumption of alcohol by minors after authorities responded to a complaint received at 11:52 p.m. Saturday of a party involving underage drinking at 2118 W. 148th St. S. in Jasper County. Those charged included Dylan T. Berning, 19, of Council Bluffs; Joshua A. Walker, 19, of Ankeny; Sydney N. Elson, 18, of Ankeny; Cale A. Gierhan, 19, of Colfax; Zachary S. Johnson, 19, of Ankeny; Jacob A. Lundeen, 18, of Bondurant; Kaleb J. Meek, 20, of Bondurant; Joseph P. Schneiders, 19, of Des Moines; Mario Garcia, 20, of Hawarden; Hunter L. Burke, 18, of Bondurant; Dylan L. Sanders, 19, of Bondurant; Kyler S. Fuller, 20, of Bondurant; Paden G. Ridgeway, 19, of Ankeny; Taylor A. Boyle, 19, of Ankeny; Elisabeth M. Hunziker, 19, of Council Bluffs; Kiley N. Holdsworth, 18, of Manilla; Jordan D. Ihle, 19, of Huxley; Caleb J. Oswald, 18, of Coon Rapids; Seth I. Clark, 19, of Bondurant; and Chase G. Juhl, 17, of Bondurant. All were released to appear in court.
• Shawna L. Johnson, 30, of Marshalltown was charged with driving while license suspended after authorities stopped her at 6:03 p.m. Sunday in the 2400 block of Highway T12 North for a traffic violation. She was released to appear in court.
• Nathan L. Miller, 23, of Kellogg was charged with operating while intoxicated, driving while license suspended and failure to have insurance after authorities stopped him at 12:26 a.m. Saturday in the 9500 block of Highway 6 for a traffic violation. Miller smelled of alcohol, failed sobriety testing and had a blood-alcohol content of .132. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Dani R. Rogers, 37, of Reasnor was charged with possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and driving while license suspended after authorities stopped her vehicle at 4 p.m. Saturday in the 1100 block of East 12th Street North for having two different license plates on the car. During the investigation, marijuana and a marijuana pipe were found in the vehicle. She was charged and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
A criminal charge is merely an accusation, and the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty. It is the policy of the Newton Daily News to release the names of individuals charged with a crime who are 16 and older.