Boy shot in shoulder by 13-year-old friend
DES MOINES (AP) — Police say an Iowa boy accidentally shot his friend in the shoulder while they were playing with a handgun.
Des Moines police say both the boys are 13-years-old. The boy who was hurt, Alec Osborn, was conscious when officers arrived and was initially listed in fair condition.
The boys were at the home of another boy’s family friend in south Des Moines on Saturday. Police say the boy who shot Osborn didn’t think the .22-caliber revolver was loaded when he pulled the trigger.
Police seized eight guns from the home where the incident happened. Prosecutors are considering filing child endangerment charges against the gun owner, who gave the boys access to several firearms.
The gun owner, 65-year-old Dennis Yohe, declined to comment on the incident.
More State News
- Second shotgun deer season begins Saturday
- Iowa governor, feds reach deal on health expansion
- About 750 Iowans enrolled in marketplace plans
- Seven flee Des Moines house after basement fire erupts
- ISU survey shows 5.1 pct hike in farmland values